Banner

Banner
Kairi and Sora... holding hands...

Sunday, April 2, 2017

What makes a Catchphrase Good or Annoying? Also; Happy Pi Day, Everyone!!!

So we're watching Cyberchase, and Inez says "this is not good. This is not good at all!" and Penguin says "I've heard her say that so many times. I think it's a catchphrase." and I'm all "Well of course it's a catchphrase" and I start thinking, Her catchphrase is super annoying. But Digit's [Yoikes!] is awesome. Why? So here's a list of the qualities of good and bad catchphrases. :-)

  • "Got it memorized?"
  • "Curse you, Perry the platypus"
  • "The same thing we do every night, Pinky: Try to take over the WORLD!!!!!"
  • "eso es!!"
  • "Elementary, my dear Watson"
  • "What's up, doc?"
  • "oh, bother"
  • "Oh, d-d-d-d-d-d-deeeaaaarrr!"
  • "Tee-aye-double guh-urr! That spells Tigger"
  • "TTFN! Ta-ta for now!"
  • "Directive?"
  • "Foreign contaminant"
  • "I'm Junie B. Jones. The 'B' stands for Beatrice, only I don't like Beatrice, I just like the B and that's all."
  • "Hello, how are you? I am fine, only..."
  • "Okie dokie lokie"
  • "'Oh, you know what I mean.' 'I do.'"
  • "Aw, phooey"
  • "Hey! What's the big idea?"
  • "At my old school, we never ___"
  • "According to my research..."
  • "Wait.. Isn't this the police station?"
  • "Consider it done."
  • "Random Person: Aren't you a little [Blank #1] to be doing [Blank #2]? Phineas/Candace/Whoever: Why yes, yes I/we am/are."
  • "To the creature rescue!"
  • "Free and in the wild"
  • "Aa-aaAAAAApppleloosa"
  • "As if!"

A one-word catchphrase is one that is thrown into other phrases, like Applejack's "sugar cube", not a whole phrase, but used very often by the character.

One word catchphrases:

  • "Darling"
  • "Thrilling!"
  • "Sugar cube"
  • "Yoikes"
  • "Gawrsh"
  • "Ahyuck"


So. Bad catchphrases:
  • Long
  • Repetitive
  • Wordy
  • Doesn't make sense for the character
  • Doesn't make sense for the world
  • Used in bad context (This is the worst one for me, and hurts catchphrases such as "as if" and "ahyuck")(Don't get me started on Ahyuck)
  • Unmemorable
  • Slow
Good catchphrases:
  • Makes sense for the character
  • Makes sense for the world
  • Quick (Not necessary)
  • Unique
  • But not too unique
  • Used in good context
  • Memorable
  • Makes sense for the type and genre of the media (e.g. a closing remark of a kids' tv show)
  • Funny (not necessary)
(Last edited: St. Patty's day last year. Let's get this out by its anniversary?)

Catchphrases are often used along with a specific gesture ("Got it memorized?" "Eso es!!") or meter ("Tee-aye-double-guh-rrr", "Free and in the wild") which also affects the oodness of the catchphrase, for example, a full body motion won't fit well in all scenarios, and a slow meter will take a long time and that is one reason why "this is not good. this is not good at all" doesn't work: it is meant to be used in contexts of an immediate threat, but the time it takes to say it all feels wrong as it will detract from the time you have to come up with a solution.

"What did the goofy say when he crossed the street?"
"Ahyuck?"
"He said a-hyuck!!"
-taking a break from playing EM2 to recharge the wiimotes, so Penguin (as ... Mickey? I think?) told me (as Oswald? unless it's the other way around lol i don't feel like digging around) a "joke".

BTW--- finished Feb fifth, set to publish on St. Patty's Day
SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTT
I DIDN'T HIT PUBLISH SO IT DIDN'T POST ON ST PATTY'S
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Oh come on. I hit publish now (4/2/17) and it posts it on 3/17?????? What even? Ugh.

UPDATE: Penguin sent me this rebuttal:
"Aren't you a little young to be doing ___?" "Yes. Yes we are." Is a
good catchphrase though because although it's awkward after the first
episode (and makes sense in the context of the first episode [two
little boys just ordered enough steel to make a citywide roller
coaster] and should in other episodes if it wasn't made clear that the
kids are well known now and shouldn't be questioned), it's made into a
well done in-show trope because it is constantly subverted and joked
with (construction worker: "aren't you a little young to-" other
construction worker: "yes, yes they are. Sorry, Phineas, he's new.";
"aren't you kids too young for a haunted house?" Kids screaming in
terror: "YES! YES WE ARE!!"; etc)

Ok, fair point; in my defense I haven't really watched much Phineas and Ferb, and I haven't watched those episodes. She also said that this was a really good post!! :-) thanks bro. 

No comments:

Post a Comment